Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
I live in an apartment in Cairo, Egypt. A few days ago, I was hearing doves flapping their wings against my window as I woke up early in the morning. Yet I forgot to open up the curtain and check out what was going on. No big deal I though.
Two days ago, upon opening the window we discovered some sort of 'nest', a tiny white egg and a dove sitting next to it. The dove was nesting right on my window sill!
Every day I woke up with the intention of checking up on the dove but every time I forgot to actually do so. Today I finally remembered and managed to take some shots with camera. I can't wait to see when the eggs hatch. I hope they do!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Sprouting many types of seeds can be an interesting thing to do and greatly increases their nutritional value. While fava beans (broad beans) are not among the commonly listed seeds for sprouting, yet in Egypt fava beans are the seeds which are commonly sprouted by ordinary Egyptians and used as a popular inexpensive Egyptian dish.
- Soak the dry fava beans in water overnight.
- Rinse and move the fava beans into a colander next morning.
- Add fresh water to the rinsed fava bean sprouts.
- Add two small whole onions.
- Add three cloves of garlic.
- Add half a small spoon cumin.
- Heat the water till it boils.
- Keep boiling untill it is tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Turn off the gas.